[Sca-cooks] Drinking horns for kids

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 15:51:12 PDT 2006

Toothpaste and tooth brush should be enough, the mild polish of the
tootpaste takes away the rough of the cattle horns without damaging
them. You can substitute the fish with berries or with meatballs or
other snacks.
Ana

On 9/23/06, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 9/22/06 3:35 PM, "Ana Valdes" <agora158 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In Sweden, where the Vikings hold wild feasts with mead and salt fish,
> > kids do their horns today with cow or bullhorns, when playing "live".
> > It should be possible to buy them in a slaughterhouse, I assume they
> > are sold as "left overs".
> > Ana
> >

> > And the kids can polish them with toothpaste, easy to do and very fun.T
>

> And a tooth brush?  Or some other tool?
>
> I find cattle horns regularly at Tandy Leather/Leather Factor, but their
> personnel do not often have any idea what to do with them.  I tend to clean
> them vigorously with soap and water and a bottle brush, let them dry
> thoroughly and then seal them with EnviroTex, a two-part resin used for bar
> tops and other food-safe surfaces.
>
> Getting kids to eat fish voluntarily is going to be a tough uphill climb in
> the US, probably.  Honey-lemonade as unfermented "mead" could work.  Maybe
> some kind of lefse flatbread?  Preferably without potato, of course.  I
> don't think even Lief Erikson got down to Peru.  <smile>
>
> Selene

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci