[Sca-cooks] Drinking horns for kids

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Sat Sep 23 11:48:52 PDT 2006

Well, funny you should mention rawhide.
My shopping today wasn't entirely fruitless (I found a great board at
Michael's that I can make a Viking smoothing board out of really easily,
and some large metal sequins that should work for simple coins).

I didn't find any wonderful drinking horns of course.  I did find some
large rawhide doggie chews, these are 10" long and I don't know how much
is curled up inside them, I'm about to give them a soak in hot water and
unroll them to see how much is there.  I am thinking that these should
be pretty easy to form and mold to my purposes, and then could be coated
with wax inside.

The only other option I found were "angel cones", which I would have
called textile cones - the kind that large batches of yarn come wound
on.  They are about 10 inches long and tapered, although not curved.
They have a hole at the bottom that would have to be plugged, have the
inside waxed, and then they would need decoration.  Not my first choice,
but they would come in at roughly a dollar a piece, plus whatever they
get decorated with.

Either way, I think the beeswax coating will take care of any
non-food-grade issues, especially if we dip the rim so that the wax
covers roughly an inch or so on the outside where you would put your
lips.

I resisted the urge to have a cool set of spiderweb glasses, bowls and
platters from Party City, though :)

Christianna
FWIW - I have not given rawhide chew toys to my dogs for years, because
of the leather issue - SCA houses have lots more leather goods in them
than mundane houses, that's for sure!