[Sca-cooks] Meat mixtures

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 25 07:37:35 PDT 2006

Sharon Gordon wrote:
> I'm looking for meat mixtures such as you might put in  pasties, pie,
> meatlball, pate, or meatloaf type food.  So far I have:
>
> Barmakiyya pies/pasties
> Beef Pommes from Two Fifteenth Century
> Chavettys
> Cheese and Bacon Pasties
> Chewetes on flesshe day
> Herbelade
> Leche Lumbard
> Lihammurakipperas/Finnish Meatloaf
> Lombard Chicken Pasties
> Meat, Apple, Bacon Pasties
> Meat Raisin Cheese from Le Viandier de Taillevent #195
> Malaches of Pork
> Minst Pyes
> Pies of Parys
> Pommes Dorre
> Pork Doucetty
> Veal and Ham Pie
>
> What else could I experiment with?
>
> Sharon
> gordonse at one.net

Do you require period documentation?  I have a few thoughts for you.

 From my Cornish Pasty web page, URL in transition at the moment:

"A Cornish saying: "The Devil will never cross the River Tamar into
Cornwall for fear of being made into a pasty!" Almost anything edible
could and was enrobed in crust and baked in the south west reach of the
British Isles. Other favorite fillings include salad-type spring greens,
mushrooms, cheese and onion, pork and apple.

"Although Cornwall is nearly surrounded by the ocean, the Cornish Pasty
is exclusively a "landlubber's" food. Sailors consider it unlucky to
take a pasty aboard ship. There is another dainty dish for seaside
fisher-folk, however, called "Star Gazey Pie" where whole boned fish are
laid between layers of dough and baked with their heads and tails
sticking out. Yum."

A recipe recalled from memory:  CORNISH PIES from the Scottish Women's
Rural Society Cookery-Book.  Equal weights each of chopped mutton,
apples and onions, salt and pepper to taste.  Two-crust pie as usual.

Bon Appetit,
Selene