[Sca-cooks] Pulling Dogs

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 26 23:28:32 PDT 2006

Malkin commeted:
  <<< She is a great protection animal.  Given that it takes Jerry five
minutes to
put the leg on, having a black mouthfull of teeth in the dark is very
useful.  has been of service on two occasions now. >>>

You actually had need of this dog protection? Twice!?

Snowball gets latched into his kennel each night. A neighbor did say
she intentionally wants her dog to be free to roam at night. Hmmm.

I hitched Snowball to the wagon twice today. I'm still working on the
traces. One in leather has now been finished. The other is just a
rope for now. In both cases I managed to get him to pull the wagon
across the room. He is quite willing to let me hitch him to the wagon
between the wooden tongues and with the traces. Then he'll just stand
there or sit down. I can get him to pull it for a few inches by
tempting him with half a mini-sausage link, which he seems to adore.
But it takes a lot of coaxing and if the sausage link is more than a
few inches from his nose, he decides it's not worth it. If I grasp
his collar and tug it, he is quite willing to walk and pull the
wagon. So, we'll just have to see how it goes.

Yet, he would probably fetch a toy all day long if I was willing to
continue to throw it that long. Maybe I need to try tossing a toy a
short distance in front of him, while he is hitched up. Not across
the room though. I don't want the wagon torn to pieces by being
turned over and pulled sideways across the room.

This is my first dog after having multiple cats for 20-some years. So
this is all a learning experience for both me and Snowball.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com