[Sca-cooks] Viking smoothing board

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 28 18:56:23 PDT 2006

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Well, for formal Central Javanese occasions, one wears a specially
> pleated kain panjang - a long piece of cotton batik in special
> patterns - wrapped around one's lower half - the typical selvedge
> measurement of a piece goes from waist to floor. To achieve the
> pleating the fabric was folded, then put under one's mattress the
> night before the event. One slept on one's mattress and, voila,
> pleated with no ironing or smoothing on a board with a rock.

Hmmmmm.....a couple of times, when I was traveling  lot for work, I
fixed the hem on a pair of pants that way...it was before hotel rooms
always came with ironing boards...and, as the resident "shrimp", pants I
purchase are almost always too short!  So, I didn't have time to shorten
them at home, so did it at the hotel.  No iron or ironing board, so I
stuck the bottoms of the pants under the mattress.  Next morning, the
hem was nicely pressed in!

Kiri

--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                        -- Audrey Hepburn