[Sca-cooks] beer

Cat Dancer pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Sep 1 06:19:05 PDT 2006

To wrench this back to something resembling on-topic, are lambics even
remotely period?

> <<< On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > Margaret FitzWilliam mentioned for one of her favorite summer drinks:
> > <<< And beer floats. With Lindeman's Framboise or Kriek and good
> > vanilla ice
> > cream. >>>
> >
> > Are you talking about using root beer? Or real beer brewed from
> > grain, ie:similar to ale?
> >
> > Stefan
>
> If I'd meant root beer I'd have said root beer. >>>
>
> Okay. Sometimes my email drops characters. Not usually whole words
> though. But to me the idea of ice cream in beer sounded a bit
> strange. It still does.  And being an uncultured lout I hadn't heard
> of those other drinks. I really didn't know whether they were beers
> I'd never heard of, or perhaps root beers, which again I'd not heard
> of. So, I wanted to make sure.

Ah. Beer floats are a favorite in my household. We're cultured louts. ;-)

I am told that vanilla ice cream in Guinness is also tasty, but I haven't
personally tried it yet.

> <<< Lindeman's lambic is real honest-to-gods beer. Comes in
> Framboise, Kriek,
> Peche, and Pomme, and Cassis. But it is not cheap, so it's one of those
> occasional indulgences.
>
> http://www.lindemans.be/start/home/nl
> If you click the EN on the upper right (next to NL and FR) you'll get
> the English site. >>>
>
> I really regret missing the beer class at Pennsic where the teacher
> went into all the different types of beer and passed around samples
> of a dozen or so different types. I find almost all beers I've had to
> be too bitter and I might have found some I liked.  Oh well. Maybe I
> can find a mundane class at UT or Central Market sometime.
>
> Stefan

I've found that beers which involve fruit are usually fairly sweet.
Raspberry wheats, Pete's Strawberry Blonde, that sort of thing.

Margaret