[Sca-cooks] Unilateral Crown Peerage Decisions- wasRe: Begging a Boon:

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Sep 5 05:36:24 PDT 2006

On 9/5/06, Elise Fleming <alysk at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> "Is it your wish that X be admitted to the Order of Y?"  Usually there is a
> very loud affirmative.  It is uncouth and impolitic to say "Nay".  If a
> member is in disagreement with the Crown's decision, that person should
> absent him/herself prior to that Court or else just kneel/stand there
> silently.  (It is the Crown's decision who is admitted to any Order,
> according to Midrealm custom and tradition.  The Order is polled.  If the
> response is for no elevation and the Crown decides to go ahead anyway -
> well, that's happened, but rarely.)

There is a reason that happens rarely ;-) While the Crown CAN elevate
anyone, the Order is perfectly capable of non-cooperation. In a recent
situation in the EK, this was done, and only a couple people showed
for the person's vigil, although there were quite a few Peers
available to do so if they wished, the person is NOT regarded as a
Real Peer (tm) for all that they have the regalia and the letters
behind their name, and the political repercussions are still
rebounding through the Realm.

It's rough on the newly made Peer, as well as everyone else involved,
but some Kings think that they can do anything without let or
hindrance, and eventually they find out differently.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....