[Sca-cooks] period oion soups

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 6 13:50:31 PDT 2006

Caointairn commented:
<<< I like my feasts to be as period as possible.  Sometimes a dish
may be in a
period style,  or I make them guess which dish is not from a documented
recipe.   The standard answer  for my question about what soup to
serve  has
been "french onion"   Maybe I should just bow to the obvious. I was
hoping
to find something "new"  and the green bruet of cheese & eggs sounds
yummy.
although a clear broth of herbs also sounds light and refreshing  --
and a
nice balance from all the richness >>>

I'm afraid I'm a bit unclear on what you are looking for, although it
sounds like a period onion soup or at least an interesting period soup.

Right now, I can't remember if the standard "French Onion" soup is
period or not. I do seem to remember a lot more white than brown,
period onion soups.

onion-soups-msg   (36K)  4/29/06    Period onion soups.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/onion-soups-msg.html

If you are looking for interesting period soups rather than onion
soups in particular, you might also want to glance through this file
and see if any of these are interesting enough.

soup-msg         (108K)  7/22/06    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at
events.
                                        recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/soup-msg.html

And plenty of people, including me, would likely find this one
unusual, as I believe it is served cold:

gazpacho-msg       (8K)  7/30/01    A soup or sauce of vinegar,
garlic and bread
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/gazpacho-msg.html

If you are thinking of French onion soups because they are usually
served over bread, well other medieval soups were served this way as
well.

sops-msg          (34K)  7/ 4/06    Slices of bread soaked in a sauce.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/sops-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas