[Sca-cooks] REDUX: Deep frying whole eggs

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 10 08:33:13 PDT 2006

The long anticipated results of my committment to experiment.

My method was rather simplistic, as I am not the Myth busters with their
budget and time :o)  I heated a 40# natural gas deep fat fryer to 350F.  Oil
was tested with onboard thermostat as well as instant read thermometer.
352F was oil temp.  One large Grade A chicken egg was held at room
temperature for 30 minutes prior to use . . . room temp hovers around 88-92F
in the kitchen before cranking up the pizza furnace.

Placing a sheet pan over the fryer vat, I lowered the egg into the oil using
18" aluminum tongs.  Nothing spectacular happened.  Egg sank, oil shimmered
to indicated where the egg was beneath the surface.  I removed the sheet pan
shield and stirred the oil to see if anything was down there.  Nada.  The
egg only cracked when I went to grab it with the tongs to remove it.

The now cracked egg released what was still uncooked of the whote.  The egg
was poaching in the shell beneath the water.  I cracked the more fragile
shell, and it oozed some.  After cooking about 2 minutes 45 seconds, it was
a medium poached egg.  Yolk was thickend a good bit and starting to congeal.

I cannot say what would happen with 500F oil at this time, because that
exceeds the smoke point of what I use, and I wasn't so willing to ruin about
8 gallons of oil in the fryer this time through.  I'll keep it on the
bulletin board forthe next trials, though!  So,  350F oil poaches an egg
qucker than 212F water does.  no fireworks and nothing dangerous happened in
my experiment . . . YMMV.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo "pizzaiolo" difrancesco