[Sca-cooks] Foods in Fantasy (was Cook's Prayer)

SilverR0se at aol.com SilverR0se at aol.com
Wed Sep 13 11:08:14 PDT 2006

In a message dated 9/13/2006 7:59:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
selene at earthlink.net writes:

> I've nitpicked with Katherine Kurtz, aka Countess Bevin Frasier of
> Sterling, about how some of the dishes she cited for stories set in the
> 1200's were not right;  she replied that it was an alternate universe
> and some foods, like some weapons, were invented earlier.  OK, good answer.

I was asked (actually hired and paid - glee, glee) to do, amoung other
things, the food section of the Deryni roll-playing game book. I pretty well stuck
to what was authentic to the period I had been told about, 13th/14th century
IIRC.

Anne McCaffrey, in additon to her cookbooks, also has many food references in
her work, and even more references to drink. She is one author that doesn't
forget that her characters have got to eat.

Bertrice Small, who has recently branched off from Romance into Fantasy, also
has lots of food references. Frankly, this is a relief to me, as her
Historical Romance food refernces are, shall we say, not always authentic. But she
never claimed they were, so it's really just me.

Renata