[Sca-cooks] J.K. Rowling challenges airport security - AP - OT

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 15 19:07:04 PDT 2006

LONDON - J.K. Rowling says she won an argument with airport security
officials in New York to carry the manuscript of the final "Harry Potter"
book as carry-on baggage. Had security agents not relented, the British
author said on her Web site, she might not have flown.

"I don't know what I would have done if they hadn't - sailed home
probably," she wrote. The posting was dated Wednesday.

Click to Expand Article

The 41-year-old author had participated in an Aug. 1 book reading for
charity with fellow writers Stephen King and John Irving. Security was
drastically tightened after Aug. 10 when British police said they had
intercepted a plot to blow up U.S.-bound airliners.

"The heightened security restrictions on the airlines made the journey back
from New York interesting, as I refused to be parted from the manuscript of
book seven.

"A large part of it is handwritten and there was no copy of anything I had
done while in the U.S."

Eventually, she added, "They let me take it on, thankfully, bound up in
elastic bands."

America's Transportation Security Administration has "never implemented a
ban on carryon luggage for flights originating in the United States," TSA
spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said. "A manuscript would certainly be allowed to be
carried on."

British Airways did ban carryon baggage on flights between the U.S. and
Britain last month when the threat alert was raised because a terror plot
was broken up in England.

Rowling said she was still considering two possible titles for the last of
the boy wizard's adventures.

"I was quite happy with one of them until the other one struck me while I
was taking a shower in New York," she wrote.

"They would both be appropriate, so I think I'll have to wait until I'm
further into the book to decide which one works best."

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.