[Sca-cooks] Pork sweet and sour meatballs (polpette all'agrodolce)

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 16 18:47:34 PDT 2006

OK, this is my version; it's an amalgamation of the recipe from the book "Bitter Almonds" and my own personal tastes:

The meatballs:

1 pound ground pork
1/2 a cup raisins, soaked and chopped
1/2 a cup toasted pine nuts
plain breadcrumbs (about 1 cup)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large eggs
dried ground rosemary, salt, pepper (I don't know exactly how much, it's a shake until it feels right thing, go a little light on the rosemary though)

Combine ingredients for meatballs. The mixture should be very firm. Make them small. Brown meatballs in olive oil, until mostly cooked.

Then add to the pan:

1 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 can tomato paste mixed with white wine until a smooth, thick liquid
1/2 cup raisins, soaked and chopped (optional)

Cook with meatballs about 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly, until liquid is slightly reduced and meatballs are done.

Serve with really good crusty bread and a salad.

Note that my measurements are approximate; I'm really a throw things together until they taste good sort of cook.

Gianotta