[Sca-cooks] Migas

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 17 11:06:18 PDT 2006

Anne-Marie commented:

<<< I know the chorizo from Portugal that I can get at our local
spanish import store comes as big long
links, like kielbasa. ditto the mexican chorizo that my portuguese
relatives serve on christmas
morning >>>

The Mexican chorizo links here come in various shapes, from long
thinner links about an inch in diameter, to shorter "blobs", about
two or three inches across. Often in the plastic, artificial skins
instead of intestines. Perhaps the artificial skins are used because
the meat seems to always be extracted from the skins and used loose
rather than sliced off in slices. Or maybe just because chorizo is
cheap. It is usually too crumbly/loose to slice, anyway.  But I've
never seen it sold without being in some kind of link shape. My local
grocery, H.E.B., carries about six or more different brands.

<<< its all dark red and rather greasy and very spicey (at least to
my very non-capsicum eatin' palate).>>>

Yes. Very greasy and usually quite spicy.

<<< I personally dont care for it much, but my family goes nuts every
Dec 25th, where they serve it
with "migas" (scrambled eggs, cooked with  whole raw galric cloves,
shredded white bread and black
olives from a can. meh.). >>>

Huh? I doubt few people here in southern Texas or northern Mexico
would recognize that as "Migas". That sounds like a very poor
substitute. Migas here tend to be eggs scrambled with chunks of
chorizo, fried tortilla chips, cheese, peppers and maybe some onions.
Throw the various ingredients into the skillet, fry them first, and
then add the eggs and scramble until the eggs firm up. Usually served
with salsa.

This makes a fairly quick, camp meal either for breakfast or dinner,
with only a few dishes to clean up.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas