[Sca-cooks] Mutton: Was Small Numbers

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 20 04:50:49 PDT 2006

Malkin wrote:
>I still have not settled on a food theme. Mongols appear to have survived
>mostly on mutton, and after my youth-life of summers spent working on
sheep
>ranches, I can not abide the smell or taste of mutton.

I wonder if you would feel the same way about the "new" mutton that is
being raised in England.  There is a movement afoot to reintroduce mutton
to the UK and to do away with the idea that mutton has a "distinctive"
flavor - probably the taste you dislike so much.  The Mutton Renaissance
Club is being supported by Prince Charles and provided the mutton we had at
the Christ Church Special Interest Weekend last April.  I've never had the
"old" mutton that people are said to dislike.  This mutton was (I think)
three years old and had been hung for (five? six?) weeks.  Gloriosky!  It
was scrumpdillyicious!  You might have even liked it!  I couldn't tell you
now what it tasted like but it didn't have what I would have called a
"strong" flavor.  However, maybe even well-prepared mutton might be more
than you would want, having spent so much time with those sheep.  I still
don't really like ketchup after having spent one long day when I was about
11 years old, my head stuck through a sheet with ketchup "blood" under my
neck, along with other Girl Scouts at a fund raiser who were pretending to
be Bluebeard's decapitated victims.

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com