[Sca-cooks] Drunken Royal Concubine Chicken

hlaislinn at earthlink.net hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 22 13:39:13 PDT 2006

Urtatim wrote:

Stories are nice, and often used to "justify" recipes, but is this
actually an ancient or SCA period dish?

I did disclaim any knowlege that the meat cakes were actually period, and I would say the same goes for the other recipe from whatever book it's from. I just posted the chicken-concubine story in the hopes that it would jog Adamantius' memory of which book he has that the recipes are in. I'd like to know just to add the source to the bottom of the recipe page in my research book. The feastcrat used Al-Bagdadi for other recipes in her feast, so she was aware of some medieval sources, most likely The Miscellany I would think. At least your forwarded post  said it resembles period recipes you are aware of, so the meat cake dish is periodoid, which isn't so bad. I wonder if the kotletki dish from Russia has its roots in this mongol food type? Being nomadic, wouldn't the Mongols have eaten somekind of falafel-type dish too? The Arab nomads managed to fry that, why couldn't the mongols fry food also?

~Aislinn~

PS I know almost nothing about Mongol food, and it isn't something I am inclined to study in depth. My Russian persona would strangle me in my sleep if I tried! ;)