[Sca-cooks] Back Pain Issues

Helen Schultz helen.schultz at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 05:09:09 PDT 2006

A couple folks have been talking about chronic back pain... I am sitting
there along with them.  I have what is called Spondololysthesis... it is a
permanent shifting of L-5 forward at S-1 (about a 3/8" slippage)... I get
some really nasty pains ranging from the spine area, buttocks, and down to
my right leg and foot from it when I stand up for too long, much the same as
Jared described.

I usually rent a scooter to be able to handle 2 weeks at Pennsic.  To make
the story slightly shorter, this year, my scooter wouldn't hold a charge and
I couldn't use it, so I had to walk everywhere.  I found that those
disposable heat pads they sell in the pharmacy section really helped me at
this past Pennsic... I was able to do almost everything as a normal person
(except carry anything over 10 pounds <sigh> for more than 50 steps).  Now,
these pads aren't a permanent cure, but they sure do make it easier to move
about.  Don't know why they work, as for me, it is gravity that works
against me (upper body weighing more than lower, so pushing against that
sciatic nerve when standing), but I was able to stand up for much longer
periods with minimal pain.  It is worth a try, for those of you who also
have similar pains.  I used the pads that had adhesive on them (meant for
shoulders and the like)... the ones made just for the back don't have
adhesive, and you have to get them large enough to wrap around your hips
(which could be a problem if you are a rather large person... I weigh about
140 pounds, and even found the Large/X-Large to be a bit tight).  However, I
was totally amazed at how much that silly little heat patch worked for me
this past Pennsic (made things really warm, though, in the heat of the
Pennsic summer <grin>).

Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
Middle Kingdom

The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo