[Sca-cooks] Sugar sponge

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Aug 3 04:32:33 PDT 2007

I don't know that we are definitely going to be able to say what was what
with regard to all the terms in sugar and candy terminology.
I do work in confectionery and early recipes at times. The recipe will often
be a sketch and end with words like " till it candies" or "it is done."
If one stirs the mixture until it grains, that's one product. Don't stir
it as much and
it's something different. Cook slightly higher and it's different from
the mixture
when cooked at a lower temp. Same ingredients, same amounts, same
instructions.

I am thinking also that these problems are the result of translations
and more translations and we are dealing with descriptions
of sugars and candies here and sketchy recipes at best.

But it is interesting and a puzzle.

Johnnae