[Sca-cooks] [Sca-Cooks] Quality of the new T.I.

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 08:10:14 PDT 2007

I know that most scholars are going to find the limiting of citations VERY
annoying....perhaps they could append to the article (for reference) the
address of a website on which they list all their citations?  Then, anyone
who wanted to verify their scholarship could do so, and the magazine could
still stay within their requirements...?  Ideally, the website would be
administered by the magazine, but perhaps someone here would be willing to
create a website to allow authors to post their references on
articles....heck, if Stefan would be willing, you could put them on an
already-well-established site....

Does this sound like an idea?

Ian of Oertha

P.S.:  I would find it very annoying to not have an opportunity to verify
sources....even though I suck at ancient languages, and attempting
translations gives me an headache.

P.P.S.:  Ye olde headache.  Or whatever.  Perhaps I could use a spell from
Bald's Leechbook...any idea where I can get a copy, other than the Bodleian
Library?  That's the only copy I found, and I only had a day to look at
it....there were, like, five cures for elf-shot....it seems to have been
reprinted at the request of Winston Churchill, but do they really print
one-offs, or would there be others, somewhere?

P.P.P.S.:  The lady at the front desk of the Bodleian Library was sooo
nice....I want to get her something good, but I'm broke.  Some flowers, or
something.  *sniff*  She told me an academic reference was required, then,
when I was nonplussed, said I hadn't one, and said I had come from America,
and by train from London, but that I'd take the trip back, and see if I
could get one, she took me aside, and said, "Now, tell me why I'm going to
let you into my library."  *sniff*  I wanted to cry, she was so nice....can
someone in England give her some posies?  *sniff*  I'm tearing up, just
thinking about it.  'Course, it was a while ago, but I figure real
librarians stay at libraries they love....

On 7/30/07, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>
wrote:

> But commentary and notes in the Requirements for Authors on the new TI
> make it clear that the Board no longer wants TI to be an outlet for
> research, rather they are aiming for a competitor for Renaissance
> Magazine. *shrug* Don't worry about finishing your research. Take a look
> at the Requirements for Authors on the website and dash off something
> light, frothy, with a factual core (and under 250 words, limit your
> citations please) and send it in.
>
> --
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

Ian of Oertha