[Sca-cooks] pantry - garum

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 22:02:11 PDT 2007

Terry Decker wrote:
> There are references to "fish murri" in the Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook,
> but I don't think there is a recipe available.  Fish murri is often
> considered to be garum or liquamen by assuming that it is a fermented fish
> sauce as murri is a fermented barley sauce.

That is correct.
As per Carlos Azcoytia in his article "History and Mythical Evolution of
Garum" http://www.historiacocina.com/historia/articulos/garum.htm
garum was consumed in Spain until the middle of the 15th Century at
least. Abu Bakr Abd al Aziz Arbulo wrote a treaty in Almeria titled
"Murri al hut" between 1414 and 1425.
Azcoytia has found that is was consumed in a region called Bitinia,
today in Turkey until 1917 at least.
He says that he does not believe that what is sold today as "garum" is
like the original product. He explains that it was very costly as the
process is so complicated that only the affluent could afford it.
Further, Azcoytia points out that original recipes would be practically
impossible to make garum today for the requirements of fermentation,
ventilation and the hours that the mixture must be exposed to the sun.
Finally he notes that probably we wouldn't like it.
Antonio Gazquez refutes this in his article 'Garum: the sauce of Roman
Empire' saying that it is still being made in a town formally called
Baelo Claudia (Bolonia today) near Tarifa in the province of Cadiz,
Spain: http://www.afuegolento.com/noticias/80/firmas/agazquez/3073/ That
must be sold locally as I cannot find it for sale on internet.
My references continue up to the end of the 18^th C. Then bread garums
were made in the shape of a tablet. Grain based garums continue to be
made. These are the result of the 13 C Afro-Andalusian creation of
innumerable wheat based mixtures which today are called by the Swiss:
Cenovis, the English: Marmite or the Spanish: /Bovil/ and bouillons or
bullion cubes (which originated from recycling fermented brewer’s
yeast). Translators of Arab manuscripts, however, currently advise the
use of nuoc-man,/ /soy sauce or Worchestershire sauce to substitute fish
garum in medieval recipes.
I have checked with el Corte Ingles a major supermarket chain in Spain
to see if I can buy garum but apparently what I tried was only sold as a
promotion on Leonese food a few years ago when a friend found it and and
made me try it (sorry not Barcelona as I previously stated)! Their garum
basically is a black olive and anchovy spread also sold in other regions
of Spain today.
By the way garum originated in Greece. The word comes from garos, a fish
that was extinct before the Romans made conquests in Iberia. After garum
spread to Italy, the Romans established major garum factories in Spain
between Cartagena and Huelva. In Spain it was made with tuna and other
fish (and their entrails) found in the Mediterranean and the Atlantic.
They did begin to die out with the fall of the Roman Empire but not
entirely as seen above.
Suey