[Sca-cooks] Sugar sponge

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Aug 9 04:51:23 PDT 2007

I checked the indexes of the books on sugar that I bought in Hawaii
and "turbinado" isn't mentioned in the index of those three,  so onto
other sources.
I've requested The sugar cane industry : an historical geography from
its origins to 1914 by J.H. Galloway.
Will see what it has.
There's this description here:
The crude juice is improved by removing impurities with slaked lime and
carbon dioxide, and it is evaporated to form a brown syrupy product
which can be readily converted into molasses. This was the source of the
brown sugars (such as turbinado, Muscovado and Demarara) that were
common in the 17-19th centuries. Sugar in impure form and molasses were
brought to New England, and trading interests helped ensure that excess
molasses was converted into rum. Refining of crude sugar results in
white crystal sugar, which can be used in granulated or powdered forms
or as lumps. In previous times, sugar loaves were marketed, while rich
banquet hosts had their chefs produce sugar sculptures similar to ice
sculptures.
http://unitproj1.library.ucla.edu/biomed/spice/index.cfm?displayID=23

McGee in On Food and Cooking, 2004, talks about:
Factory Brown Sugars
"Factory" brown sugars were originally produced during the initial
processing of the cane juice into
unrefined sugar. These include demerara, turbinado, and muscovado sugars.
Demerara (named after a region in Guyana) came from the first
crystallization stage of light
cane juice, and took the form of a sticky large yellow-gold crystals.
Turbinado was raw sugar partially
washed of its molasses during centrifugation, is also yellow-gold and
large but not as sticky as
demerara. Muscovado was the product of the final crystallization from
the dark mother liquor; it was brown,
small-grained, sticky, and strong-flavored." page 674

Johnnae