[Sca-cooks] Greetings from the Incipient Shire of Tymberhavene inAnTir

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 10 20:11:33 PDT 2007

While I hate to rain on your parade, breakfast was not a grand culinary
event until well after 1600.  Usually, it consisted of  bread or some form
of porridge washed down with beer, small beer or ale, wine if wealthy and
perhaps some type of meat.

In 1512 for Lent, the Count and Countess of Northumberland  breakfasted on
"a loaf of bread, two manchetts, a quart of ale, a quart of wine, two pieces
of salt fish, six bawned herrings, four white herrings, or a dish of
sprats".  "A half a chyne of mutton or a chyne of boiled beef" would replace
the fish for meat days.  The beef or mutton would usually be leftovers.

Queen Elizabeth appears to have preferred simpler fare.  On one occasion in
1576, she had "cheate and manchett 6d, ale and beare 3 and half d, wine one
pint, 7d."

Bear