[Sca-cooks] Salt Rising Bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 11 11:49:28 PDT 2007

C. perfringens has a number of variants that do different things.  If C.
perfringens is the leavening agent in salt rising bread, then it is probably
a variant related to the one that produces gas gangrene, the object of
leavening being to lighten the dough by filling it with gas bubbles.

Since Clostridium food poisoning is usually from undercooked meats, I doubt
there is much of a problem with the bread, as it is thoroughly baked.

Bear