[Sca-cooks] Cheese fat? - LOOONNGG!

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 17 09:05:03 PDT 2007

>Wonderful project!  I've only made slipcoat cheese a
>couple of times, mainly because I'm busy trying to
>perfect other rinds at the moment.

Thanks, I've only done basic green cheese (Angel's Food)
so a firmer cheese is going to be a bit more of a challenge.
And cheese is going to be just one part of the display.
I'm also planning on roasted meats with sauces, sausages,
mustard, drinks, veggies cooked in pottery and a bread.

Some of these I'm very familiar with and many I'll be learning.
So the whole project is going to be a challenge.

>Laying the cheese back into the vat does two things,
>it gives it a smooth finish and allows for different
>sizes of cheeses so you don't have to have specific
>tools on hand to make this.

I notice in the recipe that you barely touch the curds and
basically roll them around in the cloth. Will the curds stick
and form together? I would guess that's a partial reason
for the pressing and weights. To form the cheese and
press out as much moisture as possible.

Is the size of the vat important? Does this assist in the
shape of the cheese?

>As the stroakings are
>used this is probably a late spring/early summer

I was thinking of using unhomogenated milk and heavy cream.
Should I instead use half and half and heavy cream? Half and Half
substituting for the strokings?

>As for using rennet, for this recipe you'd have to use
>the real thing unless you can find junket in you local
>grocery store.  Junket is a weaker version of rennet
>and is used for custards (it makes a killer
>pannacotta) and ice creams but Dr. Fankhauser has
>developed recipes using junket to make hard cheeses as
>well.

Good words. I was thinking of taking Master A's advice and
checking out the local brewing supply company.

>Not using your hands but using your skimmer instead.

The recipe says "skimming plate" but is this a specialized
bit of equipment? I'm thinking something like a pierced
spoon or ladle. Maybe one of those large flat pierced
skimming spoons.

The general
>rule is the larger the curd the more fluid the paste.
>For example, brie is kept as whole as possible while
>Parmigiano Reggiano is cut down too a rice size and
>heated to a high temp.  The slipcoat cheese will be
>more like a young brie in texture, springy and moist
>but without being fluid as it gets in its older weeks.

I was hoping to make a slightly harder cheese than
a brie. Something like an Edam in texture. But that
may take longer and be a bit more complicated than
a basic slip cheese.

>As far as cheesecloth goes, and pillowcases.

I like the thought of the pillowcase.  :-)

>As for reeds, I tend to use sushi mats.  They work
>well, are uniform in size and shape, and are easy to
>clean.

Neat idea! And you can find sushi mats easily. Although
I also like the paper plate holders and wil check the
..99 cent stores or Goodwill.

>So there you have my initial brain dump.  Let me know
>if you run into any problems along the way, I've
>probably dealt with most of them at one time or
>another.

I really appreciate the help from you and the rest of the
folk.

>Eibhlin, Laurelled for cheesemaking and professional
>cheesemonger

Gunthar, cheese n00b.