[Sca-cooks] Sweet chocolate, Modican chocolate (OOP -- maybe)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 26 15:13:02 PDT 2007

As stated "the basic recipe" came from the Aztec and according to the entry
for Cacao in The Cambridge World History of Food, the Aztec did mix cacao
with honey (as well as with hot water, cold water, maize, ground chili
peppers, vanilla, annato, etc., etc. etc.).  The sugar could be a
replacement for honey.

And before someone complains that honeybees are of European origin, let me
point out that subspecies Melipona and Trigona are of New World origin and
produced honey for the Maya, Olmec, Aztec and others long before the
Europeans arrived on the scene.

Bear