[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Cheesecakes....

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Wed Aug 29 08:15:48 PDT 2007

At 08:24 AM 8/28/2007 -0700, "S CLEMENGER" <sclemenger at msn.com> wrote:
>A lady on our kingdom list is interested in 16th century recipes for
>German cheesecake and cheesecake cousins, if there are any such
>things.  I'm mostly familiar with earlier daryoles and such, myself, and
>haven't ever done much with Germanic cuisine, outside of a recipe or
>two.  (Our Coronation in a couple of weekends is featuring a dessert buffet...)
>Does anyone out there know if there are desserts/tarts like this in our
>German texts like Welserin? I've switched computers AND ISPs this summer,
>and managed to lose all my bookmarks and saved messages, or I might be
>able to poke around myself, but without my links, I'm pretty lost...

I don't know about German cuisine, but I can tell you that recipes similar
to cheesecake go back as far as the 14th century in England, where they
were known by names like "lese fryes" and "lesshes fryed". My best guess is
that their English name is a cognate of the "leschefrites" in some of the
Menagier de Paris's menus, whose name literally means dripping pans. These
menus often pair leschefrites with darioles, which suggests to me that they
were a kind of tart.

This might or might not help with a search for German recipes.

--
Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark