[Sca-cooks] [Sca-Cooks] Wikipedia article on Medieval Cuisine

Breila Lyman lady_breila at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 05:25:34 PDT 2007

Yep, that's about right... eras are very fluid and really depend on the historian labeling them and the reason they need to be labeled.  Happens on the other end, too, with Late Medieval and Early Modern.  Just as long as you don't insist on using "Dark Ages".... scholars get really tetchy about that one!  The whole Feudal model used to define Medieval is also up for grabs... but that's another discusssion for another mailing list.

  In the meantime, as I am a novice cook, I'll sit back and enjoy the discussion about oil going "kaboom"...  :-)

  ATB,
  Breila

Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
  As I understand the chronologic terminology, there is an overlap between
Late Antiquity (300-600 CE) and Early Middle Ages (500-900 CE), the two
terms being used to describe the continuation of classic ideas and society
and the disruption of classic ideas and society respectively (dates
dependent on source). Either term could be applied to the period from 476
CE to 751 CE, depending upon where and what is being considered. (Two
schools of historic thought, perchance?)

The High Middle Ages, IIRC, is usually measured from roughly the end of the
Carolingians to the Fall of Acre and the end of Outremer.

Of course, the definition of each of these terms depends on which scholar
you are dealing with at the moment.

Bear