[Sca-cooks] Sponge sugar

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 10:59:36 PDT 2007

Does anyone know about this one? Teresa de Castro talks about "azucar
rosado" (pink sugar) or "panal de azucar" which I translate as sponge
sugar. It is caramelized sugar to which something is added to fluff it
up which today is lemon juice. My translation does not check out. I play
around with the Mexicans panella and other deviations of panel, loaf or
cone sugars but nothing comes out pink or fluffy in English.  Castro's
sugar citations are for Spain between 756 and 1480 more or less. I think
her 'pink sugar' could be 15th Century.
Suey