[Sca-cooks] Sponge sugar

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 1 12:01:16 PDT 2007

On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Suey wrote:

> Does anyone know about this one? Teresa de Castro talks about "azucar
> rosado" (pink sugar) or "panal de azucar" which I translate as sponge
> sugar. It is caramelized sugar to which something is added to fluff it
> up which today is lemon juice. My translation does not check out. I
> play
> around with the Mexicans panella and other deviations of panel,
> loaf or
> cone sugars but nothing comes out pink or fluffy in English.  Castro's
> sugar citations are for Spain between 756 and 1480 more or less. I
> think
> her 'pink sugar' could be 15th Century.
> Suey

While I have no idea about the translation possibilities, I do recall
mention in one of the traditional rural Irish cookbooks I've got (at
the moment I have no idea which one) of a confection sold at country
fairs, called Yellow Man.

I'm pretty sure I remember this is supposed to be made from a
caramelized, hard-crack sugar syrup, to which something like baking
soda (sodium bicarbonate, generally) and a small dash of vinegar have
been added, producing the foamy effect you describe. I think it's got
some butter in it, as well.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any other source for this recipe,
or any reference on the Web, etc.

Well, in any case, it seems as if the concept of "sponge sugar" is
something known elsewhere, and you may want to examine it further
before dismissing that as your translation.

Adamantius