[Sca-cooks] Pantry products - Morcilla

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 5 18:40:00 PDT 2007

On Aug 5, 2007, at 8:59 PM, Suey wrote:

>    On my pantry list I cautiously wrote "pork products" because I
> personally participate in the preparation of all others during the
> slaughter. Its a back breaking two day project after which we
> celebrate
> with 250 guests on the third day who I receive with dishpan hands
> filled
> with knife cuts and pin pricks. Yes, I like my chorizo and all that
> but
> for me the best is the morcilla for it lasts only a short time and is
> made with such loving hands. Morcilla is caviar for me.

So far I've had several variants, and it's even possible that I see
more different types in New York, since we have numerous local South
American populations, than you do in Chile (I have no idea if this is
the case, but I think it's possible), and I've enjoyed every one.

Yes, I think what I had was flavored with cloves or possibly
allspice. I've had some that were pretty spicy (as in capsicum-laced)
but this wasn't one of them.

I remember a fun moment when I was cooking a feast for an SCA event,
and this was an annual local event of fairly ancient standing, where
traditional Celtic, and not necessarily well-documented as period,
food is generally expected. One of our locals had brought her mother,
who speaks little or no English, who was intrigued by the haggis we
served. Apparently it reminded her of something... the young lady
came and found me and translated what her mother had said -- my
Spanish is useful in restaurant kitchens but not really
conversational, general-purpose fluent. I said, "Oh, the haggis. Tell
her it's a little bit like Scottish morcilla." The mother beamed, and
apparently I had made a friend for life.

Later, we had a good time translating a haggis recipe into Spanish...

Adamantius