[Sca-cooks] Murri and muria

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:58:16 PDT 2007

Terry Decker wrote:
> >From Armenian to Arabic, that's curious.  Many thanks for the information.
>
> Bear
>

>> Terry Decker wrote:
>>
>>>  What is the etymology of the word "murri?"
>>>
>> The Real Academia Espanol Dictionary states that it comes from Classical
>> Arabic "murri", this from Armenian "murya", and this is from the Latin
>> "muria, salmuera"  (brine, very salty water used in preserved food).
>> Salmuera in literally means sal del mar - salt from the sea.
>> Suey

Good question. It seems here that we have to go back into history a bit.
Armenia was the cross roads of the silk route and very much desired by
conquering peoples. The Romans sort of  conquered it at times but for
the most part, as I understand, they were friendly with them on the
whole giving them client status. The Arabs conquered Armenia in 645 and
stayed for 200 years. Although Armenia is landlocked today in did
stretch from the Caspian Sea to the Mediterranean in 55 BC but I don't
know for how long. Do you?
    Another question, could not salmuera come from saline lakes? Lake
Van in eastern Turkey was the center of the Armenian kingdom. Again I
don't remember the years but I think they encompass those we are talking
about. It could be, therefore, that Armenians were producing murri due
to Roman influence and passed it on to the Persians.
    Otherwise we have the fact that they were on the silk road.
Suey