[Sca-cooks] Medieval Breakfast

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Sun Aug 12 17:52:21 PDT 2007

I just received a short book on medieval feasts that appears to be geared toward children, but is fairly detailed for a children's book.  It doesn't have any citations but it indicates that the nobility ate bread and ale or wine for breakfast early, then ate a main meal between 10 and 12 (which could include even heavier fare).  Then they ate again, a lighter supper, between 5 and 7.  The book indicates that if someone was feeling ill or wanted a snack later in the evening, soup was brought to them.  I don't know if this is accurate but it does seem to give one some flexbility if you wish to serve Brunch vs. Breakfast at an event.

Cristiana