[Sca-cooks] medieval boil-in bag meals

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 15 17:30:13 PDT 2007

Anne-Marie mentioned:
<<< I would vastly prefer to prepare these things over a cookfire,
but the SCA
in our kingdom hasn't allowed fires consistently for years, >>>

Oh? What kingdom is this? West? Caid?  Sorry, but I can't remember
where you live right now. I can't think of any Ansteorran camping
event which hasn't allowed open fire cooking, except when a burn-ban
was in effect. More inter-kingdom anthropology, I guess.

<<< so I am
frequently reduced to preparing things at home in boiling bags and
reheating
them on site with my trusty butane stove. That said, its amazing how
many
medieval recipes adapt themselves well to this!  >>>

Anyone have some good suggestions for medieval recipes that adapt
well to this technique? I'd like to add more such suggestions to the
bag-cooking-msg  file in the Florlegium. And someday when I get one
of the vacuum-sealer machines...

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas