[Sca-cooks] polenta or rice dish?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 20 17:41:35 PDT 2007

Brighid ni Chiarain gave two recipes using rice n reply to comments
about a polenta dish. While these were sent in reply to a polenta
dish, they aren't considered polenta dishes, correct? Polenta is made
with wheat or (late in period) corn (maize) meal, and not rice, correct?

Just trying to make sure I don't file these in the wrong Florilegium
file. :-)

Stefan

Nick Sasso wrote:

> Ya' know, if you make that polenta out of coarse ground semolina,
> some broth
> and a little hard grating cheese, you are in the realm of Maetro
> Martino's
> recipe from 1600's Naples.

I made something along these lines for the Pennsic potluck.  It was
based on two recipes from de Nola.

RICE WITH MEAT BROTH
ARROZ CON CALDO DE CARNE

"You must take rice and wash it with cold water or tepid water three or
four times; and when it is well-washed, set it to
dry on a wooden chopping block in the sun, and if there is none, near
the fire; and when it is dry, clean it well of the
stones and filth; then put a very clean pot on the fire with meat broth,

<smip>

POTTAGE OF NOODLES
POTAJE DE FIDEOS

"...but as I have said in the chapter on rice, many say that with
pottages of this kind which are
cooked with meat broth that one should not cast in either sugar or milk,
but this is according to each one's appetite; and
in truth, with fideos or rice cooked in meat broth, it is better to cast
good grated cheese upon the dishes."

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com