[Sca-cooks] Butternut squash? substitution for tart recipe

K C Francis katiracook at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 15:06:48 PDT 2007

If you have to peel and seed a summer squash, then you have let it get to
big.  All summer squash can be eaten by just cutting into chunks and
steaming, etc.  If my zucchini get beyond 6 inches, I shred, salt and drain,
then saute.   I grow all kinds of summer squash: zucchini
(black/green/yellow),  papaya pear (just the shape & color of), scallop
(green/yellow/white), Zuccetta Rampicanaté (very long skinny with firm flesh
and now the lagenaria.  All taste about the same and are a great base for
herbs, garlic, curry, etc.  For a tart, I'd go with one that stays firm when
fully cooked like the Zuccetta or the lagenaria (there are 6 or more
varieties of this).

Katira