[Sca-cooks] Any period Mongolian recipes out there?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 09:13:02 PDT 2007

To be honest, I don't know why anyone would say that "Soup" is not a
suitable Mongolian cookbook...it was written during the Yuan Dynasty, when
the Mongols ruled China.  The person writing it was a Chinese physician who
worked for Kublai Khan, as I stated before.  Granted, the recipes show
influences from China and the Middle East, not to mention India, it still is
as close to Mongol cuisine as we can get...and it was the cuisine used at
the Imperial Court which was presided over by Kublai.  However, if Her
Highness believes otherwise, then you must go with her wishes.  Even the
book that Lady Johnna mention, *Imperial Mongolian Cooking: Recipes from the
Kingdoms of Genghis Khan" contains recipes that are very much like what you
find in Soup.

I did locate one recipe in Soup that appears to be pretty much traditional
Mongolian, though it's not noodles:

*32.Roast Wolf Soup*

 Ancient *pen-ts'ao* do not include entries on wolf meat.  At present we
state that its nature is heating.  It treats asthenia.  I hae never heard
that it is poinonous for those eating it.  In the case of the present recipe
we use spices to help its flavor.  It warms the five internal organs and
warms the center.

 Wolf meat (leg; bone and cut up), tsaoko cardamoms (three), black pepper
(five *c'ien*), *kasni* (one *ch'ien*), turmeric (two *chi'en*),
*za'faran *(one
*ch'ien*).

Boil ingredients together into a soup.  Adjust flavors of everything using
onions, sauce, salt and vinegar.1
It is believed to be traditional Mongolian by Buell as the Chinese weren't
eating this sort of "critters" at this point (including dog), and Muslims
would have been upset at the idea of eating meat of this sort.  Beyond this,
I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance.  You might try contacting the
Silver Horde at mongol at NYCMongol.com.  I know that the head of the Horde,
"Puppy" has a lady who just got her Maunche for Mongolian research,
including cookery.

Kiri

*
*

*
*

*7.      **Cooking Wonton*

Chop the meat finely.  Add riced bamboo shoots or wild-rice shots, chives,
or *Basella rubra *tips.  Use Szechuan pepper and a bit of apricot kernel
paste.  Wrap.  The skins should start out thick and small when cut out.  Then
flour them and roll them out.  (When stuffed) put into fully boiling water.
Stir; do not cover.  When they float up, take them out, stirring no longer.
Do not use Chinese Cardamom in the filling, except to warm the *ch'i*.

Note:  In the subsequent edition of *Petits Propros Culinaire*, #61,
Francoise Sabban, a French professor who specializes in Chinese food and
culture, made some corrections to the translation by Wang and Anderson.  The
corrections to this recipe are:

' "The skins should start out thick and small, *then cut into squares*".  The
last part of the last sentence does not mean "except to warm the *ch'i*" but
"*if you add Amomum villosum Lour.* (which is not exactly 'cardamom') *you
will have hiccups*", as the Chinese editors explain it, and as every
dictionary confirms it.'

Redaction

1 lb. Ground beef

¼ cup Bamboo shoots, finely chopped

3 tsp. Chives

½ tsp Szechuan pepper

½ cup Apricot kernel paste  (use almond paste instead)

½ tsp salt

Won ton wrappers

Mix all ingredients except wonton wrappers thoroughly.  Form mixture into
small balls and wrap in wrappers.  Drop dumplings into boiling water, and
stir gently.  Remove them when they float to the surface.