[Sca-cooks] Pepper in chocolates

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:51:15 PDT 2007

Terry Decker wrote:

> So the Spanish would have been familiar with Aztec
> > chocolate drinks flavored with vanilla, or honey, or hot pepper, or maybe . . .

    As a rule I never respond to anything outside my period (I "die" in
1474) but curiosity is killing the cat on this item. A French friend
visited us last year. We threw a dinner party and lots of Chileans
brought lovely chocolates. I rarely try them, I suppose cause they did
not exist in "my time" but when house guest and spouse were gobbling up
the leftovers next day she came upon a Chilean brand of chocolates with
pepper and spit hers out in the most ladylike way possible. It was so
horrible for her Belgic taste. After she explained that to me and
henceforth I carefully placed the peppered chocolates in a bowl where he
normally sits and the other ones near her and everyone was happy.
    Does that mean that we have from Aztecs to the Mapuches (Chilean
native Indians) adding pepper to chocolate? Do we have chocolate with
pepper in the northern hemisphere too? It sounds really odd to me.
Suey