[Sca-cooks] Pepper in chocolates

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 27 22:56:39 PDT 2007

Suey asked:
<<<    Does that mean that we have from Aztecs to the Mapuches (Chilean
native Indians) adding pepper to chocolate? Do we have chocolate with
pepper in the northern hemisphere too? It sounds really odd to me.>>>

The short answer is, yes. The earliest chocolate recipes, from the
native Americans, include peppers. I'm not sure why you consider this
any more unusual in the northern hemisphere than the south. I think
the Europeans first found chocolate being used in Mexico in the
northern hemisphere. I'm sure that Bear or others can give a better
overall history.

You find a number of early chocolate recipes in this file, and
although the file isn't arranged chronologically, you can gradually
see the peppers disappearing and sugar being added by the Europeans.
Of course chocolate was a drink until the process for solidifying it
was created in the 18th? century.

chocolate-msg    (116K)  6/11/06    History and description of early
chocolate.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/chocolate-msg.html

Stefan
--------