[Sca-cooks] Vanilla [was: Sweet chocolate

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 27 12:25:05 PDT 2007

> Vanilla is a new world food from that part of the Americas; it
> could not
> have been introduced by the Spanish as they did not have it.

Gianotta then asked:
<<< Thanks for correcting that. My mind had been on Madagascar being
the major vanilla producer today. So the Spanish would have been
familiar with Aztec chocolate drinks flavored with vanilla, or honey,
or hot pepper, or maybe even all three. And the presence of vanilla
in sweets is thanks to the Spanish as well ... Do you know, or does
anyone know, how quickly did vanilla show up in recipes? >>>

I seem to remember very late in period or post-1600.

vanilla-msg       (29K)  3/26/06    The vanilla bean in late-period
Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/vanilla-msg.html

Stefan
--------