[Sca-cooks] Cinncinnatti chili

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 28 11:03:06 PDT 2007

On Aug 28, 2007, at 12:56 PM, Kathleen A Roberts wrote:

> couldn't have orgininated in sparta... those guys wouldn't
> have been that buff eatin' all that cheese on top...
>
> cailte

Dunno; there's plenty of cholesterol in black broth.

Hey, I may have done some low-level evil at a Hieland Games over last
weekend. My lady wife is a fan of those little hockey-puck meat pies
they sell at such gatherings, so she had pre-ordered a frozen box of
them to take home. We were on line to pick said box up, fairly late
in the day, which put in close proximity to a little window from
which the business in question was also selling hot, cooked meat
pies, bridies, sausage rolls, and a mysterious, unknown item known as
"haggis puffs". (I had hoped to be able to buy an actual haggis from
this company -- Cameron's -- but this year they were not selling
them). My spouse and I discussed briefly what a haggis puff might be.
The woman behind us in line gently teased the small boy she had with
her, "Do you want a haggis puff? No? Why not?"

I turned around and said to the small boy (maybe 8?), "Hey, big guy.
Do you see those enormous dudes tossing the cabers over there?"

Kid, doubtless taught from infancy not to talk to large, weird-
looking strangers: "Yeah?"

Self: "How about those great big guys in the fur hats and the steel
helmets, the ones who stand guard outside Buckingham Palace? You know
most of them are Scots, right?"

Kid: "Yeaaaahh...?"

Self: "You know what they eat all the time, right?"

Kid: "Nooooo...?"

Self: "They eat oatmeal porridge..."

[Incredulous look from Kid.]

Self: "with skim milk..."

[Kid -- mild aversion]

Self: "and herring..."

[Kid -- open loathing]

Self: "...and haggis."

[Kid -- dawning, sheer Lovecraftian horror]

Kid's Mother (who appeared to be a good sport): "He's right, you know."

Kid: "Can I just eat regular food and just grow up to be, like, 6
feet tall?"

Adamantius (who enjoyed the haggis puff, which turned out to be,
essentially a potato-less bridie with liver included in the filling,
wrapped in puff pastry -- I'm not a big fan of puff pastry but this
was OK as these things go -- tasted pretty much like warmed
liverwurst on a croissant)