[Sca-cooks] OT OOP What do you call ... leftovers

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 29 10:06:34 PDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 12:18 PM, Georgia Foster wrote:

> In the interest of linguistics ... and just for fun ...
>
> What term/terms do YOU use for ... leftovers.
>
> I will start
>
> my house ... they are called "mustgo's" or "leavin's" or "leave-
> overs" and ... occasionally "mystery stew".

I think we tend not to use "leftovers" as a noun, but more as an
adjective, as in "Leftover pot roast". We also seem to have an
unspoken rule about using leftover foods: they can be reheated for
lunch or even breakfast, but almost never at dinner unless they
become an ingredient in something else, preferably somewhat disguised
from their original form.

For example, the chunk of roast leg of lamb I found the other night
was shredded, frizzled up on one side in  an iron skillet,
reseasoned, and eaten as pseudo-schwarma with pitas, tahini, and
lettuce, cucumber, onion, etc.

Adamantius