[Sca-cooks] OT OOP What do you call ... leftovers

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Aug 30 13:42:40 PDT 2007

>Somewhere, in the dim recesses of time (my early days in the SCA - late
>70's, early 80's) someone told me that a period term for leftovers was
>"orts".  Orts is has been in my house ever since (don't think I've ever run
>across that actual reference to be able to confirm or deny it myself, but
>I've always liked the word ;) )

http://www.dictionary.net/ort

Ort \Ort\, n.; pl. Orts. [Akin to LG. ort, ortels, remnants of food, refuse, OFries. ort, OD. oorete, ooraete; prob. from the same prefix as in E. ordeal + a word akin to eat.]

A morsel left at a meal; a fragment; refuse; -- commonly used in the plural. --Milton.
Let him have time a beggar's orts to crave. --Shak.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Ranvaig