[Sca-cooks] Sponge sugar

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 1 21:14:04 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
>Does anyone know about this one? Teresa de Castro talks about "azucar
>rosado" (pink sugar) or "panal de azucar" which I translate as sponge
>sugar.

When I see "rosado" as an adjective for a medieval food, I don't think
"pink", I think "rose".  For example "vinagre rosado" is wine vinegar in
which roses have been steeped.  Could this be some kind of rose sugar?

Brighid, who oughht to be packing.  > > > > >

Been waiting for our Catalan/Spanish 'expert' to weigh in.
She does pack a whallop.  It sure makes some sense to think on.

niccolo difrancesco