[Sca-cooks] [Sca-Cooks] To 10 pantry items

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 5 08:45:47 PDT 2007

On Aug 5, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Ian Kusz wrote:

> huh....and no one included that roman fish sauce....:))))
> (garum?  liquamen? whatever.)
>
> Of course, everyone I've heard mention it has said it's
> concentrated evil,
> but, well.......

It's really no big deal. It's made from fish. It tastes like fish. It
is _not_ rotten. It's got a lot of salt in it. Use it in place of
salt in dishes for which a fishy flavor is a reasonable expectation.

The only time I've ever heard a major complaint (and I share this
one) from anyone who has actually seen, smelled, tasted and/or worked
with the stuff (as opposed to the ill-informed who just knee-jerk
repeat the xenophobe mantra, "rotten fish" over and over again
without ever coming within a mile of it), is that when you add it to
a hot pot or pan in any quantity, the aroma can be pretty
overpowering for a few minutes. By the time the dish is done, it will
have dissipated to a great extent. Oh, and it's pretty stinky to
actually make it, but since you can buy it in markets catering to any
of several ethnicities at very reasonable prices, that doesn't have
to be an issue.

Adamantius