[Sca-cooks] Garum was To 10 pantry items

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 5 18:51:12 PDT 2007

On Aug 5, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

> [...]

I recall being specifically sought out by a friend of mine who had a
friend who had made the quick-boiled "fake" liquamen, and found it so
entirely inoffensive in nature that he then went and did the actual
fish-entrails (or maybe it was whole, small fish) in a vat in the
August sun, to see of there was any serious difference between the two.

Interestingly enough, there wasn't. Both tasted like an ever-so-
slightly oregano-flavored Filipino patis: a clear (light amber),
thin, strong, very salty fish-broth with a slight oily sheen to its
surface.

I know there are some Asian fish sauces that are lacto-fermented, and
some that are made with anchovies and vinegar, but this didn't
resemble them very much.

Adamantius