[Sca-cooks] [Sca-Cooks] Wikipedia article on Medieval Cuisine

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 09:32:12 PDT 2007

Good golly, Miss Molly; I tried editing it, a little, and after HOURS, I
only scratched the surface.  I'm tired.

I had to add a few pages for cross-reference....I hope I didn't screw them
up, I was so tired writing them.  Feel free to fix anything.

I at least included a link to Le Menagier.

On 8/1/07, Breila Lyman <lady_breila at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yep, that's about right... eras are very fluid and really depend on the
> historian labeling them and the reason they need to be labeled.  Happens on
> the other end, too, with Late Medieval and Early Modern.  Just as long as
> you don't insist on using "Dark Ages".... scholars get really tetchy about
> that one!  The whole Feudal model used to define Medieval is also up for
> grabs... but that's another discusssion for another mailing list.
>
> In the meantime, as I am a novice cook, I'll sit back and enjoy the
> discussion about oil going "kaboom"...  :-)
>
> ATB,
> Breila
>

> Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> As I understand the chronologic terminology, there is an overlap between
> Late Antiquity (300-600 CE) and Early Middle Ages (500-900 CE), the two
> terms being used to describe the continuation of classic ideas and society
> and the disruption of classic ideas and society respectively (dates
> dependent on source). Either term could be applied to the period from 476
> CE to 751 CE, depending upon where and what is being considered. (Two
> schools of historic thought, perchance?)
>
> The High Middle Ages, IIRC, is usually measured from roughly the end of
> the
> Carolingians to the Fall of Acre and the end of Outremer.
>
> Of course, the definition of each of these terms depends on which scholar
> you are dealing with at the moment.
>
> Bear
>
> > Most scholars refer to that period as Late Antiquity, with the early
> > Middle Ages being roughly corresponding to the rise of the Carolingians.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Breila
> >

> > Terry Decker wrote:
> > In the minds of the scholars who choose to use Early Middle Ages to
> > describe
> > the period between the fall of the Western Empire and the rise of the
> > Carolingians, rather than refer to the period as the Dark Ages.
> >
> > Bear

Ian of Oertha