[Sca-cooks] Murri and muria was pantry - garum

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 6 17:52:16 PDT 2007

Here's a question for you:  What is the etymology of the word "murri?"  We
have recipes for murri and Byzantine murri.  We have references to murri
naqi and fish murri.  But do we have any idea from where the word derives?

Now, let me do some pure speculation.

According to Curtis, Roman fish sauces come in four forms; garum, allec,
liquamen and muria.  Garum is the liquid decanted from a couple of months of
salted, fermenting fish.  Allec is the residue left after the garum is
removed.  Liquamen seems to be a suace leeched from fermenting fish
(apparently similar to modern fish sauces like Worchestershire).  And muria
is a somewhat broadly defined term to refer to salt solutions extracted from
or used to preserve meats, fruits and vegetables.  All of these sauces were
used and made around the entire Mediterranean, up into the Black Sea and far
south down the Nile.

I think it is highly possible that "murri" is an Arabic form of the Roman
(of Greek origin) "muria" brought into Arabic well before the Islamic
expansion.  That being said, I haven't seen any evidence to tie the two to
each other.  I also can't think of a way to prove or disprove my theory.
Anyone got any ideas?

Bear