[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP: and in honor of the mid-Pennsic "silly season"...

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 8 09:45:54 PDT 2007

> Both Mindy's and Lindy's were, and remain, world-famous for their
> cheesecake, each being the respective ne plus ultra of the commercial
> Russian-Jewish-derived "New-York-Style" cheesecake-makers art in
> fiction and in real life.
>
> Imagine my distress when, at a key moment of the story, a piece of
> alleged Mindy's cheesecake is placed in front of Frank Sinatra in the
> role of Nathan Detroit, who proceeds to consume same with more gusto
> than somewhat, as Runyon might have said. However, upon examining
> said piece of alleged cheesecake, the most casual observer can see
> that it is nothing but the phonus balonus, being no more than an inch
> high and having a graham-cracker crust, at that.
Damn, that is good Runyonian rhetoric! Me hat's off to you.

Sadly and tragically, the commercial sources of cheesecake in proximity
to the MGM studio were completely inadequate to the task. Of the classic
west side eateries, Cantor's, whilst being the only joint open all
night, has never exactly excelled in the Food department;  and Juniors
Deli is not and has never been exactly Lindy's either.

Had Sam Goldwyn had his temper tantrum about Cheesecake instead of
Chicken Soup ever day in perpetuity in the late lamented MGM Commissary,
this tragedy might have been averted.  The MGM cuisiniers surely did not
have the Lindy's recipe or anything resembling it.

But I bet Adamantius does.  Give, schweethaht.

Selene, playing Tablero with Big Julie's Dice.  Don't you trust me?