[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP: and in honor of the mid-Pennsic "silly season"...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 8 12:59:23 PDT 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> We take our tea at Lindy’s
> We find much pleasure in this
> As we look through the windows
> To watching people pass
> With Lindy’ we’re a trio
> Just Georgie, me and Leo
> He never takes what we owe
> He wants us for the class!
>
> Here's a write-up on Lindy's that talks about Runyon.
> http://www.iclassics.com/featureArticle?contentId=47

I believe that is also the site that talks about Lindy (whose actual
name was Linderman, apparently, like in "Heroes") as being a master
marketer, widely publicizing his cheesecake recipe early on in a bid
to dethrone another well-known deli owner (Reuben's, also famous for
what would later be called New York style cheesecake), and apparently
it worked. Although as I recall, there were Reuben's delis in NY
after the last (both real and cloned) Lindy's closed.

IIRC, the primary difference was that Reuben's used sour cream in
their recipe to Lindy's fresh cream, and the pastry was different.

Adamantius