[Sca-cooks] Greetings from the Incipient Shire of Tymberhavenein AnTir

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 12 16:44:55 PDT 2007

On Aug 12, 2007, at 6:56 PM, ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:

>> I made this tart with dried
>> sour yellow plums and it was pretty smashing,
>
> Where would you get these yellow plums, and how expensive are they?

As I recall I got them at Sahadi Importers in Brooklyn, but anyplace
that sells dried fruit to a German, Eastern European or Middle
Eastern clientele might sell them. I've also seen them in [East]
Indian markets. They were pretty expensive, maybe $4/lb, but when
reconstituted in the form of pie filling they made considerably more,
so they were probably the equivalent of 3-4 pounds of fresh, pitted
plums.

This was a few years ago; it's quite likely prices have gone up, but
going to an actual market with a bin they will weigh out of is
probably better than trying to get them by mail order and paying
through the nose for shipping.

Maybe this doesn't help, but for whatever it's worth...

Adamantius