[Sca-cooks] Interesting Garum article in the latest Petits Propos Culinaires

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 13 16:38:16 PDT 2007

Suey asks:
>I do not receive this magazine and the article does not seem to be
>online yet but I would be very interested to know if she defines the
>differences between garum, liguamen and murri there or in her book which
>I am also lacking as well a international library loan at this time.
>From what I see of her work she is quite particular in saying they are
>not the same but am becoming confused between these terms and the
>definitions I have.

She expresses the same confusion and indicates that there was confusion in
period as well.  She mentions some differences in certain texts where blood
products are called by one word and the fish which have been liquified from
the inside out as another word.  It also appears that some forms were used
in the kitchen while others were mixed at the table.  Since the article is
a number of pages long, it's too difficult to summarize, and there is no
one clear definition for any of the sauces.  You might consider purchasing
this issue from the publisher.  I don't think the journal has ever been
online.

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com